Saturday, August 11, 2012

I Wish I Had A Crystal Ball

I Wish I Had A Crystal Ball


Many years ago, in the 1980s, my 2 sons had a craze on Star Wars toys, both vehicles and models.I vaguely recall scurrying around the shops in November and early December trying to find the ones they had requested for Christmas.I seem to remember being lucky at Tesco, where I got a few of the things.I begrudged paying nearly £15 for a Millenium Falcon and a similar price for a Winged Fighter as I thought it was a lot of money at the time for what these things were - plastic playthings with bits, that boisterous boys would soon break off.After a couple of years, they had moved on to another fad, and so the Star Wars toys were given to the charity shop.I wish I had had a crystal ball then, and could see into the future, as these toys have made a comeback over recent years, and are now fetching very high prices if they are the originals.Taking a look on eBay today, you will see a Wing Fighter for $200 and Millenium Falcons for $100 or more.I do wish I had thought to keep the toys my sons had in the loft to get out for future generations, or to sell now, as I would have made a good profit on some of them.They also had a complete set of the figures at one time, and these now are fetching over $2000 for a good set.I see that there is now a Millenium Falcon made from Lego and selling at $400.Some parents sure do have lots of money to spend on their kids.I wonder what the collectibles of the future will be and what we should keep stored away safely for the future generations.

I Wish I Had A Crystal Ball



No comments:

Post a Comment